Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Thoughtful Criminal

Recently, I read a short blurb in the Washington Post Express about a mugger who returned the stolen wallet and cell phone to the victim after the victim divulged that he was unemployed.  The short mention was meant to be humorous I assume but it made me think about our current economic times and criminality. 

At the beginning of this recession, I remember hearing about a rash of crimes that would ensue.  When people lose their jobs, they commit crime was the very basic premise. That did not occur with this widespread recession.  I always wonder what circumstances in a person's life lead them to crime.  Because, at the risk of sounding like a bleeding heart liberal (which I have been called many times and I am not ashamed), I truly believe people are intrinsically good and circumstances in their lives lead them to do bad things, to harm their fellow man.  And this particular case confirms that to me.  Both people in the situation are hurting, the mugger and the victim.  Based on his reaction, I will assume the mugger is in a similar situation or knows people who are, and he is desperate.  He understood the plight of the victim and did not want to victimize him further.

Though I obviously responded to this story in a different manner than intended, it furthered my belief in the good of people.  And warmed my cold, black heart just a little. :-)

2 comments:

  1. if i ever get mugged... i'm using that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, what a thoughtful post. About a year ago, my iPhone was stolen (grabbed out of my hand) around 2 p.m. at 19th and Corcoran. (Not exactly a dangerous place or time.) My eyes met the mugger's. I felt as though, in a split second, he was asking for permission. I thought what kind of life must he have that he is stealing? It was a weird, magical experience. And it did make me think about the conditions of everyone, the choices people feel backed into, and how the recession is pushing everyone to the edge. Thanks for this thoughtful post. Best, Margot

    ReplyDelete